The Perfect Thanksgiving Turkey & Sides
Cooking with Collette
Here are some delectable dishes you can be thankful for. Nourish Coffee Bar + Kitchen Chef Collette Haw shows us the perfect thanksgiving turkey and sides.
Nourish Coffee Bar + Kitchen is open to the public and is located at the Center for Health & Wellbeing in Winter Park, FL. You can view the menu and place an order for pick-up at NourishCHWB.com. Delivery is also available via the DoorDash app.
Turkey & Dry Brine (0:00-10:34)
Turkey 14-16 pounds
Get the turkey separated legs and breast by butcher.
Dry Rub Ingredients:
2 tbsp black peppercorns, freshly ground
¼ cup kosher salt
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp dried thyme
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tbsp rubbed sage
1. In a small bowl combine all the spices and mix thoroughly.
2. Take your fresh or fully thawed turkey and dry off with paper towels the best you can.
3. Brush the soy sauce on the turkey all over until you get a nice even coat.
4. After you have brushed your turkey with the soy sauce sprinkle the dry rub all over the bird.
5. Allow to brine in a refrigerator, uncovered for 12-24 hours.
6. After your bird has brined, preheat oven to 425° F.
7. With a clean towel, wipe as much of the brine off as you can. Its ok to leave a little on.
8. Bake for 20 mins at 425° then lower the oven temp to 325° and bake until the internal temp is about 155° and allow to carry over cook to reach 165° and rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
Twice Baked Acorn Squash (10:35-25:22)
2 medium sized acorn squash, sliced in half and seeded
1 large white onion, small diced
10 garlic cloves, microplaned
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
1 pinch red pepper flake
salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
½ cup dry red wine
1 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese
½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
4 scallions, sliced
½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
½ cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 375° F on the convection setting. In a baking pan spray with nonstick spray and place the squash cut side down. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
2. Once the squash is soft, allow to cool enough to where you can handle them. Scoop out a good amount into a bowl.
3. Heat a medium sauté pan and add the olive oil. Sauté the onion, garlic, sage, red pepper flake, and rosemary until the onions become translucent. Add the red wine and allow to reduce by half.
4. Once the wine is reduced add the mixture to the bowl with the acorn squash add the scallions, toasted sunflower seeds, and shredded Jarlsberg cheese, season with salt and pepper.
5. Take the mixture and divide evenly into the 4 acorn shells. Spread the Gruyere Cheese on top and allow to bake for 15 more minutes. You are ready to serve!
Sweet Potato Gratin (25:23-34:26)
4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 shallot, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, micro planed
¼ tsp rubbed sage
1 pinch of red pepper flake
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
¼ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
½ pound shredded gruyere cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 325°F convection.
2. In a medium sized bowl add the sliced shallot, garlic, sage, red pepper flake, rosemary, nutmeg, salt, pepper, heavy cream, and thyme. Mix all the ingredients together and thinly slice the sweet potato right into the mixture.
3. After all the sweet potatoes are sliced into the bowl toss the slices of sweet potatoes until evenly coated with the mixture.
4. Spray a medium sized baking container. Cover with foil.
5. Baked in the oven cover for 45 minutes, remove the covering and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
Honey Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts (34:27-40:22)
1.5 lbs brussels sprouts, cleans and halved
¼ cup olive oil
2 springs of fresh thyme
10 garlic cloves, whole
½ cup sherry vinegar
Salt & Pepper
1/3 cup chicken stock
½ cup honey
3 tbsp cold butter
1. Preheat a medium sauté pan to medium high heat. Once pan is hot add the olive oil, and brussel sprouts. Allow the brussels sprouts to get golden brown on all sides.
2. Once they start getting golden brown add the fresh thyme springs, cloves, and season with salt and pepper.
3. Once the brussels sprouts are fully golden brown add the sherry vinegar and allow to reduce all the way. Add the chicken stock and the honey.
4. Once the brussels sprouts are starting to soften add 1 tbsp of cold butter at a time until you start to make the sauce.